Concrete is an extremely durable material, making it popular for many uses- particularly flooring. If you have noticed cracks in your concrete flooring, you might be wondering how concerned you should be and when it’s time to seek professional help. Generally, small cracks in concrete are nothing to stress over. However, while acute cracks in concrete might look like nothing, they can continue to widen over time and cause major structural problems. The severity of cracks can range variously and it’s important to be able to identify a crack that could become problematic. Despite concrete being tough and durable, cracks are almost always inevitable. King Services can provide further insight into the severity of your cracked concrete and offers concrete floor repairs in the Richmond area.
What causes concrete to crack?
Cracks in concrete floors can be frustrating. There can be several causes, and understanding why they happen is the first step in preventing them. Cracks can occur from the very beginning stages of the concrete pouring process. As soon as concrete flooring is installed, it begins to dry. As concrete dries, it shrinks from water escaping through evaporation. When any movement occurs during the drying process, including shrinking and expanding, cracks are formed due to the pressure. Concrete drying too fast, or a mixture with too much water, also causes cracks. This is why it’s important to hire a skilled contractor to conduct the curing process. If you need concrete floor repairs in Richmond, this should also be done by a professional.
When should I be concerned?
If you have been noticing some changes in your concrete flooring, it may be a cause for concern. Even a tiny hairline fracture can turn into a big problem if you aren’t aware of the signs. Here’s what to look out for when determining the severity of cracks in your concrete:
• Measure the cracks! This is one of the simplest and most efficient ways to determine the severity. Generally, cracks in concrete that measure less than one-quarter inch wide are nothing to be concerned about. If they are measuring above this number, it may be time to contact a professional.
• Keep track of your cracks. Make note of “active” cracks that are expanding over time. “Dormant” cracks will not grow or expand with changing temperatures and are not a threat to the structure of your flooring.
• Do not ignore dirty concrete cracks. If any of the cracks in your floor are catching dirt or admitting water, this is a sign you need them to be sealed.
• Concrete floors that are disfigured, slumping, or out of alignment could indicate structural damage
• The shape of cracks matters. Is the crack diagonal or horizontal? Cracks in concrete that are wider at one end or go across ceilings and walls are classified as more severe.
Running into household issues that need fixing can be extremely overwhelming. Many of us simply don’t have the time to attempt a “do it yourself” approach to concrete floor repairs. Hiring a concrete repair professional will save you time, and money and prevent any further damage to your property. King Services provides reliable, quality work, from a team of trained professionals who are eager to improve your space and fix any problems with your concrete you may be experiencing. If you are seeking concrete floor repairs in Richmond, contact us with any questions or concerns you might have and we will be happy to help you!